College Councils Advisory Board
The College Councils Advisory Board is selected to represent the needs and interests of college Knights to the staff of the Supreme Council of the Knights of Columbus, to advise staff on new strategic initiatives, and to assist in the planning and organization of the annual College Councils Conference.
In order to represent the diversity of the college program, the Supreme Council selects Advisory Board members from both public and private (Catholic and non-Catholic) schools. Additionally, regional representation is considered so that Advisory Board members can serve as a liaison between the Supreme Council and the schools in their geographic area.
Expectations and Responsibilities
Members of the College Councils Advisory Board are exemplary Knights of Columbus with demonstrated leadership, both in their college council and their campus community. They are ambassadors of the Knights of Columbus College Councils Program, and their conduct should model the high ideals and traditions of the Order. In other words, they are Catholic gentlemen.
Members of the College Councils Advisory Board are expected to:
- Offer recommendations and proposals for strategic initiatives of the College Councils Program;
- Attend a weekend planning meeting in Connecticut in February or March 2019;
- Plan and present training workshops during the annual College Councils Conference (October 4-6, 2019);
- Serve as a regional liaison for College Councils;
- Serve as an ambassador for the Knights of Columbus Supreme Council; and
- Participate in monthly videoconferences.
Education and Experience
Candidates should be undergraduate students with fraternal leadership experience (such as grand knight) in a Knights of Columbus college council. Additional experience demonstrating leadership potential includes employment, professional internships, and extracurricular activities. Candidates should also display the ability to manage multiple projects; proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; strong writing capability; and the ability to interact with others at all levels of an organization. Prior public speaking experience is desirable.
Interested candidates must submit an electronic application via e-mail to email@example.com by by Friday, Nov. 30, 2018.
Your application for the 2019 College Councils Advisory Board must include the following documents:
- Personal statement of 500 words or less explaining your interest in serving on the Advisory Board and describing what you believe you can contribute as a member.
- Current résumé, including your GPA, no more than two pages in length.
- Contact information for three references from the following:
- Your council chaplain or campus minister;
- A professor or employment supervisor; and
- A brother Knight (e.g. financial secretary, district deputy, etc.).
- A letter of recommendation from one of the above three references.
- A high-resolution photograph (.JPG), preferably a portrait or head shot, appropriate for use online or in press releases.
Please format the subject line of your application email in the following manner, including your name and council number:
Subject: College Councils Advisory Board Application – John Smith (Council 0001)
If you have questions about the application process, please the College Councils Department at (203) 752-4671 or firstname.lastname@example.org.