Love & Responsibility Week
A Higher Purpose
Dedicate a week to joyfully and compassionately uphold the dignity and duties of each human person as outlined in Catholic teaching. Throughout the week, hold fun and innovative events that affirm faith and engage with Catholic truths on the themes of love and responsibility.
In conjunction with your chaplain, work as a council to choose a theme from Catholic teaching relating to the overarching ideas of love and responsibility. Plan a week, offering a variety of events, activities, and resources that promote and explore the various aspects of this theme. The central role of the family, proper stewardship of our planet, the dangers of pornography addiction and the important realities of Catholic sexual ethics are all examples of potential Love & Responsibility Week topics.
- Working with your chaplain, obtain his recommendations and choose a theme which relates to Catholic teaching on the ideas of love and responsibility.
- Designate a specific week to organize your events. Be sure to consider factors that might affect participation such as exams, vacations, sporting events or other campus events and campus ministry programs.
- Plan a schedule of interesting activities that affirm faith and engage with ideas from Catholic teaching. Ideally, the week of activities should begin with Mass on Sunday and conclude the following Sunday.
- Ensure that all the events for the week are fully approved by your chaplain and campus student activities office.
- Order supplies for the week, including copies of the Love & Responsibility Week Brochure (#10801) to be distributed at all events, through Supplies Online and at no cost by the council Grand Knight and Financial Secretary.
- Prior to the start of the week, use the Love & Responsibility Week Sample Press Release (#10806) as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to media on campus and in the local community.
- Build public interest! Promote the Love & Responsibility Week on your council and larger community through a variety of efforts:
- Posting on your council website / social media pages
- Prominently display promotional posters (which can be ordered through Supplies Online and at no cost by the council Grand Knight and Financial Secretary)
- Pulpit announcements
- Bulletin announcements
- At each event, wear Knights of Columbus-branded apparel and have the council membership director set up a table with brochures and membership documents (including Prospect Cards (#921A) and Online Membership ‘Why Join?’ Brochures (#10537)). Do not forget that this event is a recruiting opportunity!
- Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the events.
- To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission and College Councils Department. Remember to retain copies for your council records.